While nothing we do is “future-proof,” I do have a strong opinion on how Google Analytics should be set up and configured to avoid problems that could come from future growth.
My hope is that you may get a few ideas from looking through the filters that I typically set up:
- Exclude data sent from unauthorized domains (either accidentally or maliciously)
- Add domain/subdomain hostnames as top-level folder so you can roll all of your company’s sites into the same view
- Make everything lowercase so non-case-sensitive file systems don’t fragment page-level data across multiple URLs
- Exclude your own traffic from the reports, including staging and development environments
- Get CPC referral tracking to record in a less vague manner
Also, there are some little nuggets related to goals and the tracking code. I hope to keep this updated as I learn more. Enjoy!
Read the Google Analytics Setup Guide »